Monday 15 October 2012

Fresh air and freedom

Today was my first day back at work for a week and a half. I think I may have been bitten by a semi-radioactive hamster which would explain my swollen neck and dreams of zorbing, unfortunately I didn't develop any superpowers and luckily the other symptoms have now passed. It was lovely to be back.

The weeding is very nearly complete - phew! I know I'm beginning to get tired of asking the children to pull things up and I'm sure they must be close to their limit of enjoyment racing to see who can collect the biggest pile of weeds in a lesson. Anyone reading the children's blog will be pleased to hear that there are no potatoes left in the patch - so there may be a change of topic soon. They seem to understand that their work will be worth it in the end and enjoy the freedom to chat away as they work.

The class are very enthusiastic when they talk about the fruit and vegetables they want to grow, not to mention the ones they don't! Strawberries were very popular as was butternut squash. We spoke briefly about the times of year certain crops are harvested and during the afternoon the children were on the look out for factors which may affect the growth of their crops. It didn't take them long to mention the increase in rain that we've had recently and many children also talked about the shorter days (it would seem they were listening when we were looking at photosynthesis earlier this morning!)

I have sent them home at the end of the day suggesting they could look at seasonal vegetables and to try to think of something which will survive the British winter. I overheard one lad mutter to his friend something about oranges, but I'm pleased to report there was a cheeky grin on his face.

The weather is set to get worse as the week goes on. I think I may get my younger group to try to construct a contraption to collect rain water. School have already got a water butt attached to our gutters, but I think we could have something with a water wheel and other exciting features. After all, it's fun to play with water and the activity may inspire them to create something wonderful in their own garden too!

No comments:

Post a Comment